- Sen. Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican, mentioned that he anticipated to see authorized challenges for the 2020 election, however expressed confidence within the integrity of the method.
- “I feel the election could also be sophisticated…I feel we will see litigation, and to some extent, the Electoral School will assist us as soon as once more,” he mentioned.
- Blunt mentioned that each events needs to be encouraging folks to exit and vote.
- The senator mentioned he strongly helps Choose Amy Coney Barrett and is “keen” to vote for her affirmation to the Supreme Courtroom.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Sen. Roy Blunt on Sunday mentioned that he anticipated to see authorized challenges for the 2020 presidential election however expressed confidence within the nation’s electoral system.
On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” host Chuck Todd requested the Missouri Republican about President Donald Trump steadily citing electoral disputes and questioning the validity of mail-in ballots.
“I’m involved about this concept that someway the election will not be truthful,” Blunt mentioned. “I feel the election could also be sophisticated…I feel we will see litigation, and to some extent, the Electoral School will assist us as soon as once more, and it’ll take a lot of the states off the desk election evening.”
“In possibly a handful of states, we will have a battle about when ballots got here in and whether or not they need to be counted and whether or not the signature was crucial, and I am longing for the nation to work its manner by that,” Blunt mentioned.
Todd continued to press Blunt, asking if Trump’s complaints are diminishing the legitimacy of the election for some voters.
“Effectively, I hope not,” he mentioned. “I’ve really handed my views on this alongside to the White Home. I feel we have to encourage our voters to vote, identical to the Democrats must encourage their voters to vote.”
Blunt, the chair of the Senate Republican Coverage Committee, was then requested in regards to the Reasonably priced Care Act and whether or not or not he helps the legislation being tossed out if Amy Coney Barrett, Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Courtroom, is confirmed. He’s a powerful supporter of Barrett’s ascension to the court docket.
“My hope is that on any case she offers with, she appears on the information of the case, applies it to the Structure and the legislation, after which comes to a decision,” he mentioned.
Whereas Blunt has by no means supported the Reasonably priced Care Act in its entirety and voted for its repeal on multiple occasions, he mentioned that he does not see preexisting situation protections or retaining youngsters on well being care plans to age 26 being taken away as “the American folks have accepted that as a fundamental a part of the continued system.”